Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother, the master motivator....





My mother is the sixth of seven children in her family. Growing up in the small central Utah town of Springville she was the fifth of five girls. Her dad always watched out for her. He had a small farm and was a US Postal worker.




My mother went on to marry her high school sweet heart (my father) upon his return from service in the Pacific during World War II. Shortly after starting their family they moved into a home next door to my maternal grandparents. During these early years she would help her father at the post office (he would come to my parents bedroom window and call for her early in the mornings).





In my early years I remember working with my grandfather both at the post office and down at the farm. Many lessons from my early childhood remain. My grandfather taught primarily by example with powerful brief intervention with the spoken word. But this is a topic for a future blog. Today I wish to focus briefly on the ongoing influence of my mother in my life.




Mother was a master motivator. When asked later in my life while I chose medicine, my answer always has been, "Because my mother always told me that was what I was going to do".





Her efforts to promote me to excel began early in my life. In my childhood our church had Junior and Senior Sunday School, and as a part of the opening exercises in both the children would give talks. These talks to my mom were a serious matter. We were never allowed to read our talk, they were practiced and memorized. There was no other way. It was Mother's way or the highway.


Well about my eighth year of life there was a special program, I believe it must have been Christmas or some other special holiday. As part of the program there were two youth speakers, one from the Junior Sunday School and one from the Senior. For whatever reason, I was the Junior representative. This was a big deal and my mother worked with me for sometime preparing my talk. It included a poem and the entire thing was memorized and practiced repeatedly.


Well, the big day came and I stood and delivered my talk, in my mind word perfect. I sat down and the Senior representative stood and began her talk. As I looked out to my mom for the expected look of approval for a job well done, I saw concern on her face. I panicked and searched my mind. It came to me, I had forgotten to give the poem I had worked so hard to memorize. Knowing her expectations and my own desire never to let her down, I returned to the podium and quietly asked the speaker if she would move aside, I had something else to say. For whatever reason she complied and then I went on and recited my poem.


The experience helps define and explain my mother's hopes and aspiration for her son. It was sometime later in my life, as I remember shortly after grade school, that another defining episode occurred. Although my siblings debate the following account, it was I that was there. She pulled me aside one day and in all seriousness (at least to me) told me I was not as "smart" as my brother and sister. She didn't say I was dumb by any means, but if I was to succeed I would have to work harder.




Fast forward to high school and graduation. I didn't want to speak at graduation and didn't "try out". When I returned home from school that evening, and I don't know how she found out, but she asked me if I was going to be speaking at graduation. I told he "no", I hadn't even gone to the "try out". Boy, was that a mistake. I don't know exactly what happened, but the next day I sought out the teacher in charge and sought a "second chance". Well, one thing led to another, and I was chosen to be a speaker at graduation, and the topic I chose, "The Upward Reach".


Life has been good to me. I completed my undergraduate work and married far above myself. My sweet wife continued the encouragement. Graduate and post-graduate work was completed. Now years later our children are all out of the house and beginning their own family units. Life has been good.





I have had many good influences in my life, but today as I remember my mother, who now has been gone from this earth life for several years, I think of her, I miss her, I yearn to talk to her one more time. But most of all I thank her for her love and motivating influence in my life. She started me on a wonderful path and truly dedicated her life to her family, her husband, her children and her grandchildren. I only hope and pray I can live up to her high expectations.





Mom I look forward to our reunion. I am still trying.

3 comments:

  1. That was so sweet to hear. I know she has always thought you more than capable but didn't want to let on so you wouldn't back down. I'm sure she's still pushing you to be a little better where she is now.

    P.S. I love that picture of Miss A and Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was wonderful, Dad. I know she's proud of the man you have become, as I am to have such a wonderful father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very beautiful, Dad. I have tears in my eyes. And Kate and Julia are both right, she is proud of the person who are and I know she's still pushing for you to be a little better. She's still a big motivation in my life as I strive to try just a little harder and be more like the fabulous women I have for examples of a truly magnificent mothers.

    ReplyDelete