Saturday, March 28, 2009

California Dreamin???


I remember as a small boy seeing cars along the highway with California plates. I envied them, living in the land of sun, ocean and fun. Disneyland, beaches, big cities -- my mind conjured up a cornucopia of exciting places and activities.


So why I ask is everybody (or at least significant numbers) fleeing the state like rodents on a sinking waterborne vessel? This weekend we are watching our grandchildren. A true joy, but to what you may ask do we owe this opportunity? It seems their parents will be moving in a few months. Where to you ask? Well it isn't here in California, no it seems the land of milk and honey lies beyond the borders of the "golden" state. (For your information, the great state of Idaho has claimed this prized family.)


Why do I go on so? Well a a couple of years ago we had three of our five children living here in the golden state, all within an hour of grandma and grandpa. Now over the period of just over seven (7) months, they are gone, gone I say, gone with the wind, disappeared, out of here -- you get my drift.


As I have sought to understand this phenomenon, I find that I need to remind myself of the wonders of this state. I know there truly are things for which to be thankful -- but right now I think I need some help to remind me. After all, this is a site dedicated to being thankful. I don't want to be too cynical -- I mean I could go on to mention that we are number "1" in several areas, personal taxes to name one. We must be close to the top in unemployment too (projected double digits into 2011), not to mention illegal immigrants.


But I digress. I would seriously like to list things for which to be thankful. Clearly we have wonderful friends and family, not that those are unique to this state, but we do have many things for which to be grateful, including our home and community. But let's get to those small and sometimes intangibles.


1. I love the early springs with green leaves and gentle breezes

2. I love being with 1 hour of snow, but not have to be right in it

3. I love the proximity to the beaches and ocean

4. I love those little reflector bumps in the road to keep you in your lane

5. I love the variety of fresh produce in the stores (maybe other states have this, but it seems to me we have greater variety here).

6. I do love the beautiful sunsets.

7. I love the song on my phone, "California Dreamin" - guess I could have that anywhere



Well, you can see I need some help here. I am thankful, but I could use some help from you.

2 comments:

  1. I still think California is a fabulous state, and were Lane and I able to stay, we totally would have. I still ride the California Soarin ride at Disneyland (technically California Adventure) and get tears in my eyes realizing what a wonderful state California truly is. Who cares if they're having issues right now? I think every state ebbs and flows and I am sure other states will face similar difficulties just as California has. You do live in a great state, Daddy. And I'm thrilled you're still there because that means I can come and see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is from DH.
    I have been dying to comment. Our browser in the hotel kept me from commenting sooner. There is still a ton to dream about here in CA. As for me, currently, that is how I like them. I have great memories of spending a day at the beach, coming home and washing off the sand, putting on the green after sun aloe and crashing in bed. Other memories of driving my red convertible bug to Newport of Huntington. However, I have found a new great love in the four seasons, snow on the mountain tops that you don't have to squint to see, spring in spring, not in January, spring that lasts at least a month and not just a few days, affordable housing, etc. I will always love to visit California but for now, it is goodbye, for I am off to the land of I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete