Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Missing My Girl

Today was my oldest granddaughter's birthday. Already 12, where do the days/years/decades go? For her birthday my wife traveled to Montana to share the festivities. Wonderful for her and my son's family, but I have missed her. No, there have been no tears, but there has been an emptines. In her absence I realize, once again, how much she means to me.

How do I miss her? Let me count some ways. I miss the nightly snuggle as we settle down in the cold bed (refer to previous post). I miss he nightly entreatment to read to her. I miss the "Hi" in response to my "Hello" as I walk through the door. I miss the approval on clothes I have chosen to wear for the day (those who know the past numbering guidlines for shirts, pants and ties will understand). I miss the sandwich she so frequently makes. I miss the quiet time together. I miss her laugh. I miss her touch, her warmth, her presence.

My children gave me a digital frame for Christmas. I love looking at the pictures. Today I enjoyed particularly those of our life together. I particularly enjoy the picture as we are walking to the temple on that very cold January morning. I see the picture of us in front of the falls in Hawaii, and I see her with our children and grandchildren. I love her smile - it hasn't changed over all the years. Sometime I may have to relate the miracle that brought us together over 35 years ago. I am not sure why, but Heavenly Father has given me so much for which 2 be thankful. Tonight I am especially thankful for my beautiful wife -- my girl.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Dad! I got all teary eyed reading that. It was very sweet. How thankful I am that I have two parents who love each other so much. It's been a wonderful example for me in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Rachel's comment.

    Just this morning Steve said to me, "I miss your mom." Even though we don't see her everyday, we still miss her presence in the Valley when she's gone.

    ReplyDelete