Monday, May 18, 2009

Hot time in the old town tonight

It has been hot here lately. How hot do you ask? Well lets say the mercury has been north of 100 the two or three days. To add insult to injury, my sweetheart is out of town, in the cooler environs of the northwest (with friends).

That has left me to watch our friend's house (between church and work), and in this heat, their lawn is not doing well. Did I mention this is "yard beautiful"? I have been checking each day, and then suddenly on Saturday I saw an area of heat stress. It's on a hill and I have been watering by hand two or so hours each day since. It is getting worse! I can't believe how fast it has gone brown, even in the face of daily deep watering. If it doesn't start to look better, I may have to move - or find some sod. I kid you not this yard is (or was) the envy of the neighborhood. Now, in comparison even our lawn is much greener (I know our lawn is new, but give my brown thumb some time to work it's magic). I am in serious trouble here folks. I'd show you a picture, but it is dark now, and I don't want to document it for the world to see. I mean this thing happened overnight. We could use some positive thoughts, and you might even consider appropriate prayers - either for me, the lawn or the heat - or whatever else may cross your mind.

The heat has been felt in different ways. Yesterday at church several people commented the it looked like I had seen some sun. Does a big red rose bring anything to mind?

Saturday I decided to visit my grandchildren. You see I was on call, alone at home, and I don't need excuses to drop by to see these bright little people, my little cherubs. So as I left work I decided to stop by and see what the afternoon would bring.

They greeted my car as soon as I pulled up in front. It was HOT, but they pointed out their swim suits and we were off to lunch (McDonalds - where else) where I treated them to lunch and in honor of the day, an ice cold milk shake. That was the last cool I was to feel for about 3 hours. You see from there we headed to the water park.

Now this water park is a community freebie in the neighborhood of my daughter, really just a neighborhood park with a cool little area of a rubberized ground cover and water sprays. It must have been a company picnic - it was mobbed. It's a new park, lovely, but very small trees. This coupled with people mobbed in the covered pavilion area left very little shade cover.

I found this tiny tree with filtered shade at best. Yes I had my hat, but no, I didn't have any sunscreen (didn't think about it before leaving for work). For those who haven't seen me in a while, think of the lead animal part in the wonderful classic, Moby Dick. For me it is easiest to squirt sunscreen into the bath tub and then, well, you get the picture.

So here I am with my BYU tee shirt and itty bitty baseball cap (long pants of course, I have my pride. I did protect my bald spot, you know the place where the sun never sets). Picture me chasing flickering spots of shade while I sat and watched my grandchildren. At times I covered up the the towels they had brought along. It may have been sad, if it hadn't been so ridiculous. I'm sure I was good for a few laughs from any onlookers.

We were there for over two hours (middle of the day no less). But, before you feel sad for me, I will tell you, that although my skin was cooked, my heart was light and breezy. I got to watch my grandchildren frolic, laugh and run through the water. They got soaked. They had a riot. Me - well there's not many things better than to have a three year old run up and hug you. They had fun, and as a direct result, I had fun - this is something to always be thankful for. Simple pleasures, seen through the eyes of our precious children and grandchildren. Hugs, laughs, and the words "I love you grandpa", and what's more, the opportunity to actually be there with family.

We went home, and then decided to get an early dinner before I left for home. Another hour with my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. A perfect day, well, maybe just a little hot.

2 comments:

  1. You had me laughing all the way through that! And now a big smile on my face. I think I'm going to download that so my kids can read it in the future and remember "Saturdays with Grandpa."

    As for the lawn, it could be a pest problem. There are some bugs that can cause brown spot. Or he could have fertilized right before he left on vacation, not knowing it was going to be in the 100s and it got burned. Either way, I think he'll take care of it when he gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, I too was laughing the ENTIRE time. You really are a funny writer. I just hope my laughing didn't wake Jane up!
    I'm sorry about Bob's lawn. There's not a lot you can do. You've given it a valiant effort with as much watering as you've done.

    ReplyDelete